View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 01:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, Flash, and welcome. Reading your description of symptoms, I don't understand why the neurologist hasn't given you a blood test for myasthenia gravis. They can test for the antibodies. If they find them, that's a clear diagnosis. If they don't (about 20% of the time the antibodies don't show up on the blood test), they can test you further. You said you had an EMG, but there is a special kind of EMG that tests much more specifically for myasthenia gravis, called a Single Fiber EMG (SFEMG).

Many of us here took a long time to get a diagnosis, especially if we didn't test positive for the antibodies (we're "seronegative"). Of the seronegative people here, many of us, including me, were diagnosed on the basis of the SFEMG.

It took me 15 months to get a diagnosis because I'm seronegative and because my initial symptoms were atypical. The way I finally got one was by asking my neurologist to send me to a neurologist who specializes in MG. I think that most doctors are more than happy to give you a referral if they can't figure out what's going on. What got me the referral was a frank talk with my current neuro. I told him, Look, this is getting worse. This is really interfering with my life. I need to do something about this. I can't go on like this.

I don't know if you have MG, or what else you might consider, but I know enough about MG to know that the symptoms you describe certainly merit a blood test and a SFEMG!!! Many neuros would give you a trial of Mestinon based on those symptoms, too.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote