View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

This sounds like good information. Good find.

BCAA's are also in meat (muscle) protein, accounting for 35% of the essential amino acids in muscle proteins. This is why eating meat is recommended for better brain health. It is very difficult if not impossible to get a complete complement of essential amino acids from a vegetarian diet. BCAA's are Branched Chain Amino Acids.

The flip side of this is that lower levels of BCAA's can cause an improvement in blood sugar regulation.

I doubt many neurologist have recommended B vitamins for their PCS patients. Most doctors I have mentioned my vitamin regimen to have discounted its value. Estersdoll, you are fortunate to have a neuro who is ahead of the pack.

Here is some interesting information about BCAA's taken from http://www.dcnutrition.com/aminoacid...cordNumber=132

<The BCAA are not without side effects. Leucine alone, for example, exacerbates pellagra and can cause psychosis in pellagra patients by increasing excretion of niacin in the urine. Leucine may lower brain serotonin and dopamine. A dose of 3 g of isoleucine added to the niacin regime has cleared leucine-aggravated psychosis in schizophrenic patients. Isoleucine may have potential as an antipsychotic treatment.

Leucine is more highly concentrated in foods than other amino acids. A cup of milk contains 800 mg of leucine and only 500 mg of isoleucine and valine. A cup of wheat germ has about 1.6 g of leucine and 1 g of isoleucine and valine. The ratio evens out in eggs and cheese. One egg and an ounce of most cheeses each contain about 400 mg of leucine and 400 mg of valine and isoleucine. The ratio of leucine to other BCAA is greatest in pork, where leucine is 7 to 8 g and the other BCAA together are only 3 to 4 g.

In serum, BCAA, particularly leucine, are great producers of energy under many kinds of severe stress, such as trauma, surgery, liver failure, infection, fever, starvation, muscle training and weight lifting. BCAA supplements, while now used only preoperatively for malnourished patients, should be used in all stress situations. For example, BCAA may replace aspirin therapy for fever.

In sum, BCAA therapies have great potential in the medicine of the future which seeks better health by imitating natural mechanisms created within the body.>

I will continue to enjoy hamburgers, cheese and my unhomogenized milk.

Now, if I could only find a good supply of A2 milk. It is free of the BCM7 (beta-casomorphin7) that most high volume milk producers sell that crosses the blood brain barrier with opoids.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote