View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 05:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyGarnett View Post
Thank you for the ice advice. We were icing her leg/foot for a long time as this was directed by the podiatrist, but we quickly realized that he had no idea what he was talking about after many visits to him where he told my mom to stay off of it in order for it to heal. I doubt this guy even knows of RSD. Just so I can prepare myself, does RSD ever get better? Is there any hope that she will have a normal life again? She is fighting through this, but getting an appointment with a doctor is so hard and she's seen so many doctors that are no help and we're losing time. I'm doing a ton of research to try and find her a good doctor online, but it is very difficult.
Yes, stay away from ice. My podiatrist told me that ice was okay too. I had to find it out on forums and from Dr. Hooshmands site that it is not recommended. As mentioned, even many professionals do NOT understand this disorder.

Has your mother called the scheduling office to get on the cancellation list? She should consider that as if they have such a list, that could seriously shorten the wait time. It's worked many times for me. She has nothing to lose by asking them if that particular office operates with one.

In my research, you often see CRPS listed as incurable. However cases of remission are possible (more often with children), but as you already know, time is of the essence in trying to "reboot" the nervous system. I am extremely cautious in using the cure word as a true cure is not likely. But know this. It OFTEN can be managed well and you can make significant progress in the pain and suffering and many can have a reasonable quality of life.

Good luck!
birchlake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote