View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 06:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I hope this isn't too boring for people, I know not many have COPD here.
I'm finding some things that are mostly confusing me because I don't have a medical background.

It makes sense that nicotine could cause neuropathy, they used to use it as a neurotoxic insecticide, duh...I'm just wondering why its subclinical in most people. And wondering if people who have taken statins, flouroquinolones, etc.would show the same kinds of changes even if they had no overt neuropathy.

There are similarities between COPD and diabetic neuropathy and I don't understand why and don't understand the physiology. Both have intercellular (intrA?) hypoxia? Also 'resistance to ischemic nerve conduction failure'....riiigght... And some sort of nerve (cell?) hypertrophy and something related I forgot to write down. And the steroid I use blocks uptake of glucose into the cells in the same way it happens in diabetics. Is inflammation an issue with diabetics?

I also found in a couple of places that COPD patients with neuropathy have greater morbidity due to autonomic issues involving heart arrythmias I think.
Dr. Weasel (Anthony Weiner with rabies) should know something about that but he has never even acknowledged the neuropathy.

I would really like to know why my symptoms subside so much when I don't take as much steroid but don't know if I'll ever figure it out.
Thanks,
Zygo
zygopetalum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote