View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark: The way your Dr.'s put it is really perfect.

xxxxcrystalxxxx: Try to find a therapist who specializes in brain injury, or who knows how to deal with people who are dealing with major health issues. TBI is even a way to filter therapists who specialize in treating people with it on Psychology Today when looking for a therapist on their website.

The first therapist I had had no clue, but it helped me just to talk to someone for an hour every week.

I never really needed therapy before the injury I got either, although I did have PTSD, I managed it just fine on my own. After I acquired the injury, I couldn't handle stimulation and I couldn't be aware of my own surroundings which made me super scared! Because I already had PTSD...

Now I have a therapist I love and I see her once a week and she totally understands what I'm going through. But not because she specializes in tbi, because the therapists in my area that do are way over-booked (but maybe you can find one or at least get on a waiting list to see one), but she understands major health issues and knows what it's like to have an immediate life style change and a sudden change in personal ability which is frustrating and depressing for anyone who has to deal with that sort of thing.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote