View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygopetalum View Post
Thanks, I did find some info but don't know how accurate it is. It said that incidence of neuropathy in general population was 3-4% with more males than females affected and among diabetics incidence was 30% with a female majority.

I thought 15% was high. Earlier studies with COPD patients attributed the neuropathy to hypoxia but apparently more recent work has not seen that as a predictor. It did seem to coorelate with a heavy smoking history but I don't fit that profile and wondered if there was a sex bias in the study, it had only 30 subjects and all were men.Some people had symptoms but what they found was primarily subclinical, some changes in nerve conduction.

There is so little interest in and acknowledgement of some of the SE effects of the COPD meds I'm beginning to think they just ignore them because they think we are all going to die anyhow before the problems become so prevalent and undeniable they will have to be addressed.
Zygo
Hi Zygo,
I don't know what meds you are on for the COPD but if you use advair or another of the inhaled steroids ask the doctor to check your adrenal gland function. Inhaled steroids have been known to cause adrenal suppression.
hopeful
hopeful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote