View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 04:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default PLEASE HELP! I am in a LOT of PAIN!

I'll start about 15 years ago. My fathers death brought on a lot of physical problems due to stress. Basically, I have gradually been on more and more narcotics over the years, as they have worn off in effectiveness. (And several other meds for emotional problems etc.) I am on a 50mcg Fentanyl patch with additional rescue medication. The reason I am saying this is to give a setting for the AMOUNT of PAIN I am going through, EVEN WITH all this medication!!

I have fibromyalgia, and I think there could be a link between it and Trigeminal Neuralgia, but I don't know for sure....

I am basically trying to find out where to do next, and to find out if you all think that this is indeed Trigeminal Neuralgia.

I went to Emergency when it first hit, hard and fast in the middle of the night. The pain covers the left side of my face, and through my jaw joint and into both the upper and lower teeth on the left side. It is worst in the morning when I get up, and some days, even wears down nicely during the next couple of hours after waking. If I massage between the jaw joint and my ear, it definitely makes a difference in the pain, usually it helps.

The emergency doctor told me he thought it was Trigeminal Neuralgia. He recommended that I INCREASE the amount of lyrica I am on. Yes, I am already on a healthy dose of Lyrica for Fibro. I couldn't afford to increase it. It's extremely expensive!

Here is the thing that casts all the doubt in my mind. A bit later I notice that my upper wisdom tooth, on that side, which HAS come out fully, causes a burn sensation in my jaw when I put pressure on it during chewing.
During the vacation time, I got my dentist on her personal phone, and she put me on antibiotics. The idea was, if the antibiotics helped, it incriminated the tooth, and it would have to be pulled. That was on the 28th, 7 days ago, and the pain is as bad as ever, maybe even worse, again, even with all the pain medication I have to throw at it!! It still hurts when I put pressure on the tooth. Alot. Now I have an appointment for the dentist to see it. In OVER TWO WEEKS!!

Could the pain from the tooth just be part of the Trigeminal Neuralgia, and not caused by a problem with the tooth itself?? That is the major question in my mind!!

If it IS Trigeminal Neuralgia, What should I be reading to educate myself and figure out the next move? My doctor is good, but I have no idea if I should ask for a referral.

I'm on the edge of my seat! Thanks in advance!
PD
phuzzyday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote