View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default sleeping comfortably post acdf

Hi.
I am on 6 days post acdf c6/c7. I finally slept last night laying down. I have 2 memory foam pillows stacked up, and slept with my back against the back of the sofa and slightly slanted on my side. i woke up with my incision a little bit tugged and in a minor amount of pain but i slept!! The cervical u-shaped pillow is too tall for sleeping flat, but the two pillows stacked are perfect for sleeping on my side.

Otherwise, I feel great! No more headache. No more arm pain, numbness or tinglies. I think my biggest problem will be resisting temptation to do things i'm not supposed to do. I was very anxious that this would be too painful to bear, and it was quite the opposite. I still don't have any voice, and have troubles swallowing fluids without aspirating (i can drink slowly) but i believe it will come back eventually. I feel very positive about the whole thing.

My big question now is, how still do I have to keep my head to promote fusing? Can I lean over at all? With plate and screws, isn't the neck fairly stable? I am not required to wear a cervical collar at all.
sfen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote