Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
Hi Mrs. D. I stopped at a new health store by me and asked for R-lipoic. They only had alpha. Can you tell me what the different is please? Also, i found a CVS that still had epsom lotion. I have never used it before but wanted to see if it would help me since I found some. I do think it helps a little. I just have a few questions, of course. How does it work? Does the magnesium get into the bloodstream from the lotion? Can it be used a few times a day? I appreciate any info you have to offer. Thanks alot!!!
This is our most recent information on R-lipoic acid:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ht=lipoic+acid

R-lipoic stabilized is far more potent and better absorbed than the alpha type. So why use something that barely works (alpha), when a better form is available now for less $$? Most of us are using Doctor's Best, since it is affordable and of good quality. 100mg a day is effective for most people. If you can tolerate higher, go up slowly. (it can be stimulating for some).
If you use drugs for diabetes, test often, as the blood sugar may come down.
iherb.com or Amazon's has it online. I haven't seen R-lipoic in any stores yet. It is too new.

There are two kinds of R-lipoic --some are not stabilized and therefore not as well absorbed. The stabilized form is therefore the one to choose. It will say clearly on the label "stabilized" or NaRALA Doctor's Best is the most affordable IMO.

Yes the magnesium is absorbed. But there is no way to tell how much or how far it goes. It may remain regionally where you apply it. I have seen on the net a recommendation to use
a "dime sized" amount. But the CVS product does not have concentration given, so there is no way to know how much is absorbed. The Kirkman cream, which is quite expensive gives 100mg/1gram of cream. It is used commonly in autistic children, so dosing is more critical than adults who can tolerate more magnesium.
I find the CVS lotion really helps with controlling my blood pressure, so I know the magnesium is absorbed.

Magnesium is used in hundreds of enzyme reactions in the body, including the mitochondria. It relaxes tight muscles, improve vascular circulation, helps the heart, is involved in lipid metabolism, etc. It is lost in the urine in diabetics, and when people use diuretics including caffeine and alcohol. It is negatively affected by acid lowering drugs, which reduce its absorption from food. It is lost during steroid therapy.
Most people consume 1/2 or less of the RDA daily, because of poor food choices. Nuts and beans remain the highest sources.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote