Thread: Mitochondria:
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 07:29 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I really do think damaged mitochondria are at the heart of many forms of PN.
I think you are right and the reason is:

"Muscle and nerve cells are big users of ATP. Nerve cells consume large amounts of glucose, which they use for production of ATP by aerobic respiration.

. . .

"In nerves, ATP is used mostly for active transport of sodium (Na+) and potassium (K+) ions but also drives secretion of neurotransmitter chemicals by the endomembrane system."

http://www.uwyo.edu/bio1000skh/lecture17.htm

I always wondered why my nerves didn't do their job properly when I was exhausted.

I wish I could see some research on exactly how much ATP nerves actually use.

---

Before I forget, here's something interesting on mitochondria:

"The long-term presence of excess cytokines is very damaging, and many scientific antennae are now tuned into cytokines as the factor which prevents mitochondria from repairing themselves. Major stimulants of excess cytokine production certainly include viruses and other infections, but once the infection has healed, cytokine production should cease. In M.E., arthritis and other chronic diseases for some reason it appears that it does not."

So before anyone spends a lot of money on mito support products, it may be worth getting a blood test first, esp. if anyone with CFS, or those who can't afford a slow recovery.

---

On a list of things Mg does, in a previous thread (on PD):

Quote:
Magnesium activates almost all the key enzymes needed for your neurons to produce energy from glucose, in the form of ATP molecules. Magnesium is also necessary for the stable storage of ATP, so it won't spontaneously break down and waste its energy as heat.
I wonder if this could explain the common problem of those with peripheral neuropathy, i.e., getting too hot, and failure to sweat.

Say the ATP breaks down as heat. Then it breaks down further, lacking the energy to complete the process of sweating to remove the heat, i.e., back-to-back failures.

I have a chronic problem of skin heating up where nerve damage apparently was done.

I don't see how the heat could be there, esp. as high as the temp gets, unless there's a lot of energy involved. It could also explain chronic fatigue, i.e., the conversion of ATP is chronically impaired, like an energy 'parasite.'

Last edited by NeuroLogic; 01-05-2012 at 11:54 AM.
NeuroLogic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (10-14-2012)