View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 12:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I can't give you any advice about PRF, as that is not a treatment that I am familiar with. Did she advise you about what some of the side effects of this could be other than making your RSD worse for the short term? I would definitely want specifics about even just that particular thing...especially if you are already in a great deal of pain.

But I did want to ask if you have considered trying to use a walker instead of the crutches? I don't know if you are able to do any weight bearing at all on the RSD leg...but I have been using a 4-wheel walker with a seat and it is SO much better than when I was using crutches before. I've made great progress since I started using one and even though I can still only do a few steps without the walker, with it I am now able (after MONTHS and MONTHS of PT) to walk for a few hours with it. It really promotes a more normal walking pattern and I am very thankful to my physical therapist for recommending that I get one. I was able to order mine on Amazon.com for $120 and that is for a fairly sturdy, lightweight one with the bigger 8 inch wheels. Best investment I have made this past year. When I started out I could barely use it at all...but was slowly able to work myself up to using for longer periods of time.

It's also nice because with the seat and the canvas bag that is underneath the seat, I always have a place to sit down and now have a way to "carry" things because I can put them in the bag or on top of the seat as I walk around. This means I can carry food from one room to the other, I can always keep a bottle of water with me, I always have the things I might need at my fingertips no matter where I am. This is something that I could not do with the crutches.

Also, have you tried a TENS unit? I know they do not work for everyone but when my physical therapist got a portable one for me that I can have on while I walk around that has also been HUGE. It doesn't make the pain go completely away...but it gets it down to a level of 5-6 instead of 9-10 and alows me to function well enough to do the walking with the walker.

Also, have you tried lidocaine patches or creams? The patches don't help a lot for me on my RSD ankle...but sometimes a little is enough. Especially if I have been wearing the TENS unit all day on my ankle and want some relief at night. And they work great for me in other areas that get sore during rehab, like my knees, and also in areas when clothing may be a little tighter on my body like my neck if I am wearing a scarf, to just add that little extra layer of protection.

Also, have you read the post about the tDCS? It sounds like this may be a non invasive treatment that has the potential for great success. AND it is something that you could do at home (though of course you should always discuss any treatments with your doctor and/or physical therapist).

I'm only asking these things because I know that these are not invasive treatments and it seems like that is a concern of yours. My RSD spread after a lumbar sympathetic block, so I can understand why you would be opposed to treatments that involve needles. In the end it is really up to you to weigh the pros and cons of any particular treatment. I really, really hope that you find something to help you soon. It seems like it has been a long, frustrating road for you. Best of luck to you.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
nigel ep3 05 (01-05-2012)