View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catra121 View Post
I definitely think that the walker is easier to use than the crutches. It has made things in my life much easier. I also don't have the soreness I had from using the crutches on my sides, arms, etc. My hands would sometimes get really sore in the beginning because I needed to lean on it so much but as I have improved that is not as much of an issue. And a big benefit of the 4 wheeled walker vs the crutches or a 2 wheel walker is that I do not get tired as fast. The energy it takes to use the crutches always tired me out really fast. With the walker I am not using much strength or energy to move the walker, which allows me to put more energy towards the act of walking itself. Other benefits for me with the walker are that it is more stable than the crutches (I feel less likely to trip or fall) and it sort of creates a protective bubble around me when out in public (crutches do too but it seems like it is more so with the walker). But I think the best thing is that you can walk normally with a 4 wheel walker.

What was really helpful for me too with the physical therapy was that I didn't necessarily start walking immediately. Movement doesn't HAVE to mean walking. There are things you can do sitting throughout the day to keep the limb moving when you are not necessarily able to get up and walk. Even now I try to do these if I am sitting for periods of time. I read that with RSD it is good to have equal movement and rest throughout the day vs just relying on doing the exercises all at once. I think that helped me a lot to get from being stuck in a wheelchair unable to stand or walk at all 6 months ago to where I am at now. The pain is still there of course...so far we haven't been able to really get that under control...but the function and strength are slowly coming back.
Oh...also wanted to mention that you can get a 4 wheel walker for as low as $50 too. I did a lot of research because I knew I would be using mine for quite a while and had some very specific needs. I wanted the bigger wheels because they are better for outside and also my house has a lot of uneven floors. I am also fairly short so I wanted one for my height, a canvas bag so I wouldn't have to remove the basket to get the walker in the car, and one that was light enough that if I was on my own I could handle lifting it. But especially if you just want one for in the house or to try out before making a big investment you can get them for less than what I spent. In the same vein...you could get one much MORE expensive than mine...I was stunned at the price of some.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
nigel ep3 05 (01-05-2012)