View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default LDN after 7 years. Bad 8th year.

I thought I should expand some on what has been going on with my wife for the past year. Wendy stopped LDN about a year ago thinking it was too expensive and a pain to get. She couldn't tell if it helped or not. I believe it can slow progression but who knows. Wendy has had PD for maybe 9 years. It was tremor dominant. She was doing ok up until the fall of 2010. Her PD meds were Sinemet 100/25 variable and Mirapex 1.875mg. I blame the Mirapex for a lot of unexplained stuff including the fall. She had been increasing Sinemet dosage over time.
Over the past year, Wendy has not done well. She fell in Jan. causing an unDx stress fracture to her upper femur causing increasing pain for many weeks until she fell and fractured the same femur in May. I regret not dragging her to her PCP in Feb. A long rod was placed in her femur and she had a difficult rehab. She fell twice again in Sep and Oct. causing more stress fractures to her pelvis. A small bump Nov. caused a displaced fracture in her pelvic pubic ramus which is very painful. She fell yet again a week ago but x-rays appear to show no breaks.
Wendy has finally found another PCP, she does not like going to docs (we also felt the other health group is partly responsible for this). A series of tests has shown she has Osteoporosis, Anemia and mild Hyperthyroidisim, TSH 0.47. I am now trying to understand how this happened to her.
So, if anyone has a thoughts, they would be appreciated. Wendy, I feel, has not done a lot to keep healthy. She has a poor diet and drinks a lot of diet coke and does not exercise much.

Some ideas:
1. L-dopa, it has been reported, lowers Vitamin B12. Low B12 causes anemia and bone loss. I asked the doc if was checked, she got upset. To be continued. Wendy had low B12 6 years ago and was given B12. Don't know if it's been checked since. She has just started methyl B12 5mg and also Vitamin K2 with Vitamin D. Her docs don't know this yet.

2. I've read that carbonated cola drinks cause bone loss. True?
and, Aspartane is not good for you. As in PD?

3. Has anyone had a bad experience with Mirapex?

This is a start and it's all new and discouraging.
Any Comments would be appreciated.
Regards, John
ashleyk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote