View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lots to learn here!

John, please do not be discouraged! There is a lot to learn here and so many have contributed so much that I really believe your wife can feel better than she might feel now.

Firstly, there are a great couple of threads here about B12 AND folic acid, which is B9 if I'm not mistaken, one within the past week. Here is my take on those:

1. levodopa and B6 interact with each other not in good way. If you supplement with a B complex, which we do, you have to time it around meds, like at night.

2. low folic acid levels mess with the thyroid, glutathione levels (this is a very strong detoxifyer in the body), cause brain fog, allow higher homocysteine levels which increase chance of heart issues, and more, there are a few recent threads about folic acid or folate, however you want to call it

3. gotta take B12, again, read past threads. Methylcobalamin is the most bioavailable, and taken best on an empty stomach, don't take folic acid if you don't also take B12, see MrsD's posts.

4. There are reams of articles about aspartame and how horrible it is. If you wife craves sweets, you can use agave nectar, stevia (now available is so many forms, liquid, bulk, packages, etc), there are many substitutes for aspartame. I've read claims that it is linked to ALS and all kinds of cancers, makes you gain weight, it's awful stuff IMHO. We have never had anything that has aspartame in it in our house, and you have to really read those labels, they sneak it in everywhere.

5. Falls: would your wife go to yoga or pilates that would help her strengthen her core and help with balance? If not, maybe you could buy the Wii Fit balance board-it has balance exercises on it and trust me, they are not easy! Good for everyone in the family, regardless of PD. If your wife's balance is such that she needs help, by all means get a walker or tripod cane or something so that she doesn't keep falling, if at all possible.

6. Exercise: crucial. This is THE only thing to have been proven to actually help symptoms and possibly slow progression. You can google the biking program created by the Cleveland Clinic which has also been discussed here. But whether you can bike or not, the important thing it to keep moving, every day, dance, bike, walk, swim, whatever you can do. Google exercise and PD and you'll see the research and data on this.

I don't mean to preach. Read the posts here and you will see how so many are doing so much to maintain their health status quo. Stress is a huge factor and usually one most of us do not have control over, so try to limit that as much as possible, for us, it makes PD symptoms go through the roof. Doubling your dose will make not difference, it's scary how strongly it can affect the body.

I'm sure you will get lots of responses to your post and I hope you find some tips on ways to help and cope. There is a world of wisdom here in this forum, thank goodness!
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon72219 (01-06-2012), Conductor71 (01-06-2012), reverett123 (02-16-2013)