View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up 6 year old who refuses

I, too, have a child who refuses to go to school. He is 6 years and in the past month it has been extremely difficult to get him to school. The mention of school makes him pale, he hardly touches breakfast, he refuses to brush his teeth, we fight with him to get his clothes on, he takes his favorite stuffed monkey and hits himself in the head with it. By the time we arrive at school, he freezes and starts crying. While waiting on the teacher , you can see him draw inwards as though he is hiding in a shell.
We are currently working with a conselor and psychiatrist who pushes getting him back to school and has placed him on Visteril for anxiety. We are also working at obtaining a 504 plan but will have to wait one whole month to get it started. I realize the importance of school, and he is allowed to do his work at home, but I wonder if there is any negative consequences in pushing him too hard?
We have used punIshment in the past and have taken everything that he values away but it does not phase him. What kid doesn't want to play video games?
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (01-07-2012)