View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsSweetPea View Post
Hi cath1, I'm not really able to help much with your question as I'm only recently starting this process with doctors myself and my worker's comp claim was denied. I did however want to say that my problem in the exact same area as yours and wondered if u would choose to have surgery again if given the option to make a different choice... At this time I'm trying to avoid it but not having much luck. I hope your doc is helpful with all of your requests and all I can say is I think its best to keep thinking positively. I have noticed that I get so much more accomplished with my doctors when I approach them in a calm fashion as opposed to when I go in to see them and I'm totally anxiety ridden. They don't seem to care to listen to me at all when I'm super wound up and worried.
Do you meditate for the pain at all? Relaxation before appts. and for the pain helps me tremendously. Best of luck to you!!! I'll be thinking of you...
Hi SAMs,

Yes, I would have the surgery again, knowing what I know now, mainly because I've gained the use of my neck again, and that portion of my body (the fused area of my neck) has improved a great deal since my fusion. I still deal with pain daily, and yes, I still take narcotics, plus cymbalta on a daily basis for the neuropathy and pain, but the pain in my cervical area is less sharp after surgery.

I had multiple issues being my cervical spine, my ulnar nerve, and median nerve. The fusion helped the cervical issues with residual muscle spasms and weakness and pain in shoulders and traps but it did not fix the ulnar pain or any of my hand issues as we all hoped it would. But half the pain is better then no pain relief.

I reached a point before my surgery where I was no longer able to drive myself to a doctors appt., or to the corner store. My days were spent crying I pain, waiting for my next dose of narcotics, and I did not want my life of 40 years to be over like that. I come from a very healthy active lifestyle, both myself and husband are certified scuba divers, we love to hike mountains, camp, go four wheeling, anything outdoors.and my hobbies all revolve around the arts, drawing, painting, crafts, etc. I had to have part of my life back.

I'm not 100% by any means, I'm still taking painkillers and going to PT and acupuncture three times a week, and I'm still off work on comp, but life has improved, so I'm grateful for that. I can walk 45 mins on our treadmill, with a slight incline, so I'm getting there! I try to keep as positive and as active (and when I can creative) as possible through this all.

. Cathie
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote