View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 02:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default nickel in food

Great info from everyone, thank you very much for keeping this thread alive so long.

I was always sensitive to nickel in cheap jewellery and jeans buttons, etc. but only metal objects against my skin.

I had an allergic reaction to a swab with chlorahexamine while getting Iv antibiotics for lyme disease, and have become very sensitive to a lot of chemicals and even my water, and my nickel allergy is now much worse.

I have only this to add to all this great info. As a gardener, i had a problem with a lack of certain nutrients in my garden soil, as indicated by certain symptoms in the plants. I could not remedy the problem, but still had a good year in the garden which is organic and permaculture in style. (northern Canada)
I can not eat commercially grown lettuce without cramps and bloating almost right away, and as a chef I have had lettuce from many suppliers over the years.
Here's the thing, I can eat the lettuce from my garden in large amounts with NO problems whatever. I never get any problems from my own garden produce, even things on the nay nay list for nickel, like potatoes and beans, but store bought stuff is always a problem. I have come to the conclusion that it how these things are grown and fertilized greatly effects the nickel levels. My garden has been low in phosporus, and I do not use chemical fertilizers. My mother in law uses chemical npk type fertilizers and I can not eat her lettuce either.

I am hoping those who miss their veggies might try growing at least lettuce on a window ledge, and try it out. Just try to find soil that is low in minerals with nickel...
and do not use fertilizer unless you are sure it has no nickel. This is just a suggestion the seems to be working for me that may give some of you a better diet if you can grow a few things in the right soil.

I can no longer work due to Lyme disease crippling me, as I have lost my sight and my ability to work, as Canada refuses to allow me to get more treatment. As a chef, you have to taste everything you serve (if you are any good) and I was so nauseated all the time, but I had not considered that I was surrounded by stainless steel EVERYTHING all day, tables, tools, walls, sinks. I am hoping this may be part of my skin problems, as i have ACA from the Lyme, and already have severe skin problems and loss of collagen, but the itchy oozing rashes seem unrelated to the regular outbreaks of other lyme symptoms.

Thanks to one and all for offering at least the faint hope of resolving some of the constant pain I am in.
Zanney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote