View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi there.

Do yourself a favour before time flies by... organize copies of the report from the EEG and request a copy of the report to accompany the MRI.

I'm sorry if this is a little information overload, but you mentioned stuttering. You say that's cleared up now. My first thought reading your post that it may have been connected to his tics.

I posted a heap of info on the TS forum ages ago regarding Stuttering and Tics. I'll post that here now but I haven't had time tonight to check that all the links are still working. I'll have to do that in my tomorrow as it's late here in Australia now.

EDITED to ADD: I stayed up to check my links. They all work, but as I said, I'm sorry if it's information overload.

Stuttering (from my bookmarks)
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post521996-60.html

My son (adult now) was originally diagnosed with Sydenham's Chorea, which is a movement disorder which sometimes follows Rheumatic Fever, which is caused by Streptococcus bacteria. Later that was replaced by diagnosis of Tourette's Syndrome and some other things including obsessive compulsive behaviours, attention difficulties. Later he was more correctly diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (Autism Spectrum) and a tic disorder/TS. The AS diagnosis became primary diagnosis.

He was never developmentally delayed as with regard to childhood milestones. In fact he was advanced developmentally according to the regular guidelines. Crawled 4 months. Walking running 12 months. eek

His first Brain MRI showed a bright spot and also enlarged Virchow-Robin spaces. He's actually adult now and one of the most intelligent people I've ever known. Different in some emotional ways tho

From your first post here
Quote:
I was curious as to whether anyone has any experience with neurological issues due to underdevelopment, and if there is anything in particular that we should keep an eye on or do to help him 'catch up'-
Quote:
We have a ten year old who started having what appeared to be motor tics. After a long summer of appointments, MRI, EEG... the neurologist said that his left brain was underdeveloped , and that the 'pull' of the right brain against the left was manifesting itself in the form of these 'tics'.
? Can you phone his Neurologist and ask what he meant? That's such unhelpful and unrealistic and downright scary language to give to a parent so concerned about their child and you've gone home not knowing what to think.

Keep posting. Please do call to arrange copies of those reports. You need to keep them yourself. Unfortunately, lots of times we find our selves as mothers having to search and search and take info. back to our children's doctors. I would be asking for an PDD - Autism Screen early just to rule that out.

Did the doctor say exactly what the Neurontin was supposed to help? I've personally not ever heard of using Neurontin to calm tics.

Hang on there. You're not alone!!!

Last edited by Lara; 01-06-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (01-23-2012)