Thread: TOS in the UK.
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 04:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna81 View Post
The thought of a second surgery fills me with dread! But although I am still in pain it is better than it was pre op where I had practically no use of my arm.
I will admit when I saw my surgeon it was pre flair up of pain...
I wanted to get them over and done with so I can get on with recovering.
Did your first surgery go smoothly? I was in hospital for 9 days then back in 2 days later for 6 days i really hope it goes better this time, he said such complications are very rare...
hi joanna81,
its good to speaK 2 someone closer to home.... in a strange way it makes me feel more supported that I'm not the only one on home ground going through this rotten TOS journey ( there seems to be so few of us here in the UK!!!). I suppose the surgery went as good as it could have but unfortunately I'm still suffering in the thoracic region. Alot of tenderness near my collarbones/ neck and arms etc on use.
Why did you have to return to hosp after 2 days?
Mine wasn't perfect either as I had an extreme reaction to the pain relief meds (diclofenac..... terrible stomach pain and wicked nausea) almost worse than the surgical incision! I thought that I was hard done by because of being in for 6 days, you was much longer.... what happened?
I too went through the phase of wanting to get it all out of the way but sadly encountered unexpected post surgical depression/anxiety.... which hit me me HARD! I thought that I was in control of my emotions but from no where I lost myself, my post op fear and pain was very real and intense.
I have attended a CBT course since to work on my feelings and due to do a pain management course in the hope to take on board some techniques to guide me....... well, that's the idea anyway. I need to prep myself before going through 1st rib excision surgery again. My sleep pattern is still disrupted from the discomfort from my neck/shoulders etc, so I feel very anxious about disrupting the other side. Time to heal is needed.
Anyway I'm glad to say that in the next few weeks I have follow ups with a neurologist and the surgeon who performed my last op.... watch this space!
I wish you all the very best, but give yourself time to heal sufficiently before another op. Take care and keep in touch. BEST WISHES!!!!!!
SD38 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote