View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 05:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Extractions in the sinus cavity not so bad if....

....you go to an oral surgeon. I mean an MD/DDS who does this stuff all the time. I had a molar removed today that on panoramic looked like it ended in the sinus (super long roots). It had had a root canal and I was having sinus pressure again localized around that tooth, so I felt it wasn't safe to keep any longer.

I was very nervous, but Ginnie and Bryanna talked me into doing the right thing, which was extraction of a dead, rotting tooth in my head, near my brain! I will later get an implant, but this is step one.

I was talking to my neighbor, a nurse, and I"m a pharmacist, and we know that the body DOES NOT retain dead material. If a cell dies, the other cells destroy it. Tissue that is not destroyed becomes necrotic and that spreads, killing other tissue. You get the picture. Trying to retain a dead tooth just leads to more problems over time. How much time? I don't know, depends on the person and their general health, but why take that risk?

So it's not uncommon to have a tooth root near a sinus, but the person to deal with this is an oral surgeon, not a regular dentist. Then you should have no concerns about the procedure.

Good luck!!
Stacy
flygirl7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-07-2012)