View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 03:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

He's a remarkable guy!

4,500 Miles, Three Mountains and a Marathon for Parkinson's - Tom Isaacs' remarkable challenge

Tom Isaacs, 35 years old, set himself the challenge of walking around the coastline of Great Britain between April 2002-April 2003, raising more than £300,000 on route.This is a distance of some 4,500 miles and represents the equivalent of walking from London to Bombay.

This would be difficult enough for anyone, but Tom has had Parkinson's disease for eight years. Exciting breakthroughs in research are being made, but funds are desperately needed. With your help there is genuine hope of finding a cure.

Tom says: "I'm looking forward to the day when I can say I used to have Parkinson's".

From a transcript of another radio show:

TOM ISAACS

There was actually one night where I'd had a skinful and actually couldn't move at the end of the evening, which was strange, I just thought - put it down to being a little bit drunk. Looking back on it, it was obviously the first signs of Parkinson's. It's funny, you don't really know what symptoms you've got because it's just something you've always lived with. I have something called celiac disease, which I've had since birth, which is obviously a problem with the gut and I suspect that that is related to my Parkinson's, although there's no clinical proof of that. I've always noticed that my Parkinson symptoms are far worse when I've got some sort of gut problem - if I'm constipated or if I've got diarrhoea - then the knock on effect of my symptoms is very marked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/...20070213.shtml

BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION

RADIO SCIENCE UNIT

CASE NOTES

Programme 3. - Parkinson's Disease

RADIO 4

TUESDAY 13/02/07
ZucchiniFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote