View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 01:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Maybe I can help with this

I am scheduled for this, the trial goes in on the 19th and the permanent on the 26th. I do have some advise. first it is still considered experimental but my MD says it should be approved by FDA this year for TN patients. Second, I know it sounds unrealistic but right now there are only a few hospitals and even fewer MD's that have done these, go to someone who has done it before, don't be your MD's guinea pig. I'm going to Cleveland Clinic, no I don't live in Cleveland or Ohio. I'm making the sacrifice, asking for help from family for mileage and hotel rooms. This is the guy who invented using it for TN, he's done a bunch. Third, if you go to someone like this less insurance fight. I saw him in November right after I left a weeks stay in the hospital for trying to control the pain from a flare up. He said, we will be doing this in January, I thought he was crazy, we are doing it in January. He had no doubt of the approval. On top of that I have medicare, no easy company to get approvals from. So do your homework, he said Colorado (I don't know exactly where), some in Chicago and Cleveland. That's it. Clearly other MD's are trying this even pain management Doc's are attempting to do them but be careful, you want the best outcome you can get....for your own health.
As for candidates, not every TN patient is going to be a good candidate. I had an MVD and an RF (radiofrequency rhizodomy) so most of the nerves in my face were burnt off in that. It helped but not enough, I still have one major nerve that was not killed off and have been battling the side effects from that for almost a decade. So if you get hit in lots of places when that "lightening bolt" slams you, this may not be the procedure for you. If you can narrow the pain down to one or two places you might be able to look at this (with FDA approval) sometime this year. I will be getting a rechargeable battery, can't wait to **** off TSA people at the airports! Once or twice a week you have to lay down and put the charger over your collarbone where the battery is placed underneath and let it charge up. No big deal.
As well, I don't understand why MD's are allowing people to do a Motor Cortex without attempting this unless it's because they want to start doing them. Surgeons want to do surgery and that sounds like a very cutting edge type to be doing. They are people too. Again, if you are looking at that type of procedure don't be a guinea pig!!! Go somewhere that does these on a regular basis. I think MCS offers TN patients something beyond an MVD which is still a good procedure but not for everyone.
I think this really opens up another option especially for MS patients with TN. We will have to wait and see.
So if you have any questions now that I can help answer, contact me. If not I will let you know the outcome in mid Feb, after I have had time to get adjusted to it. I have great confidence in the MD and that I am a good candidate for this, I'm not expecting miracles, just being positive. If I'm on the low side at 50% pain reduction I will be thrilled that's 50% less medication. If I get a better outcome it's just gravy...wish me luck. Beth
BethO2L is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burntmarshmallow (01-08-2012)