View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 01:33 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I am probably the original white rat on low dose dextromethorphan

I began posting on this subject back in 2005 on the old braintalk forum. As described in my posts earlier on this long thread, I have been faithfully taking 3.5-5mg of DM in pediatric cough syrup each night at bedtime since sometime in 2005. Therefore, I think that makes me the longest-term user of this approach to attempt neuro protection for PD.

The result has been that I feel that I have experienced quite significant slowing of progression of my Parkinson's disease symptoms. However there has been a slow, steady increase in the doses of sinemet required to allow me to maintain good control of my symptoms, bradykinesia, balance difficulties, shuffling gait, and some postural instability. I have increased from 100mg of IR carbi/levo 3X daily in 2001 when diagnosed, to one each of 100mg IR and 200mg of CR 3X daily, at 5 hour intervals. I occasionally forget to take the second or third dose. If more than a couple of hours late, my symptoms faithfully remind me of the error. Once "off", however, it is difficult to get back truly "on" after taking the skipped dose.
I have never had significant tremor. When I am "on", which is about 90% of my waking hours, my gait is essentially normal, and I am not seriously limited in endurance. Until the last few weeks I have also taken 900-1200 mg of CoQ12 daily. I plan to resume the CoQ10 because I sense that my symptoms have begun to be more apparent.

I would, like staurus/David, also like to hear from as many of you as are willing to share your experience with dextromethorphan in attempting to slow progression of Parkinson's disease.

Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
soccertese (01-08-2012), staurus (01-16-2012)