View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 02:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow...based on all those symptoms it does sound like RSD. I'm not a doctor of course...but all of the things you mention are classic RSD symptoms and I have had all of them at one point or another. Physical therapy initially did not help and I continued to get worse and then they had me immobilize my leg and put me in one of those boots. This was all prior to the RSD diagnosis and as soon as the doctor suspected RSD he got me out of that boot, got me started on physical therapy (geared towards treating the RSD so it was different than what was tried before), and most importantly got me started on the proper meds for RSD.

Sounds like you are on some of the normal ones to start with, but if they are not helping enough for you to continue with physical therapy then you should discuss with the doctor trying different ones. I don't know what other meds you are taking but they usually include an anti-inflammatory med in addition to the ones you are taking and try an antidepressent to take at bedtime to help you sleep better. You should only be put on any new meds one at a time so that you can determine which ones help, which ones don't, and what (if any) side effects they have.

I understand your concerns with taking so many meds. I'm only 28 and was 25 when I first got RSD. The longer I have had RSD, the more things I have found to help me control the pain besides just medications. This board has been a great resource for those types of things. One thing you could maybe discuss with the doctor or physical therapist is trying out a TENS unit to see if that helps with the pain. It doesn't help everyone but it has been a real lifesaver for me and my last physical therapist was able to get me a portable unit that I can wear while I walk. It doesn't completely take the pain away...but it knocks it down to a 5-7 vs the 9-10 I had constantly before...which was enough relief to allow me to really do the physical therapy exercises.

And one thing to keep in mind while you are waiting to see another doctor is that you do need to do the physical therapy EVERY day. Believe me...I know how hard this is...but you have to make yourself MOVE that leg throughout the day. The physical therapist may have you doing exercises that are too much for you to do on your own...if you are still treating with one I would ask them at your next session what are some exercises you can do while sitting.

I was stuck in a wheelchair for months earlier this year and I spent several months just doing exercises while sitting before I was able to progress to even simple standing exercises at the counter. But if you do these things daily and throughout the day (not allowing yourself to immobilize that leg for long periods of time) trust me, you will see improvement with the pain. But getting this pain under control is key and will make the physical therapy much easier to do.

There's lots of other stuff I could say...but I don't want to overwhelm you too much. In case you haven't noticed...I tend to ramble on and on. But focus on taking things one step at a time, know that you are not crazy no matter what the doctors day (your pain IS real), and if you feel yourself getting overwhelmed or stressed just stop, take a deep breath, and refocus on your main priorities. Don't lose sight of the main goal and let yourself get all caught up in the legal problems. Focus on your health and surround yourself with people who love and support you.

Best of luck and welcome to NT.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote