View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Well, I would have to say, that since there are over 100 causes of neuropathy... some of them are indeed bilateral.

I had bilateral PN in both feet equally and my hands, when I was in my early 30's.... this was due to hypothyroidism.

People who get GBS... a fast progressive peripheral neuropathy have it bilateral too.
It starts in the legs and moves up. It may even paralyze the diaphram, putting the patient on artificial respiration equipment.

Some further information on bilateral neuropathy:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-bila...neuropathy.htm

Quote:
The most common single cause of peripheral neuropathy is diabetes, accounting for about 30% of diagnosed cases in the United States. Other causes can include vitamin deficiencies, exposure to toxins, and systemic infection such as HIV. Excessive alcohol or drug use has also been found to cause neuropathy in some patients. Neuropathy can be a result from a direct injury, and it can also be caused by hereditary conditions such as Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. In about 30% of diagnosed neuropathy, the cause is unknown.

Early diagnosis of bilateral neuropathy is important to slow the progression of nerve damage, and in some cases, reverse the existing damage before it becomes permanent. Diagnosis is often made by a neurologist after studying the patient's medical history, including any underlying conditions that may contribute to neuropathy. A physical exam in the office may reveal abnormalities in reflex reactions, muscle reactions and grip strength. More detailed testing is sometimes required and may include an electromyogram (EMG) which studies muscle contractions, as well as nerve conduction tests.
I have never seen a paper or comment on bilateral PN that said it had to be identical in each foot or hand/arm. All bilateral means is that symptoms occur on each side of the body.

When I had my EMG on my hands/arms when pregnant, the doctor did it on the worst side...the right hand, because I am right handed.
When the test showed 70-80% loss of function, I was offered steroid injections in both wrists. I opted for only the right, since I was afraid for my baby etc...so I had only one injection so I could at least use my hand.

I only saw good resolution of my feet and hands finally when my hypothyroid issues were medicated with hormone. I still have some residual issues in my feet which are more severe on the left than the right, but they are minor now compared to the past. I consider this residual neuropathy bilateral still.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hopeful (01-11-2012)