View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Nick,

First, let's deal with the here and now. I have explained the vitamin and supplement regimen I follow. Many want to pick it apart and minimize the doses of vitamins, etc. I can't comment on the value of reduced doses for others because I know that I do not do well on the reduced doses.

The roller coaster may not be tolerable for you. You will need to determine this when the time comes. You can just tell your son, "Roller coasters make Daddy's head hurt."

As I said, you need to connect lots of days and weeks of good discipline and no or minimal symptoms to see how your brain can continue to heal.

Think of your schedule of activities for the next six months like a recipe for brownies.
If you add a piece of manure to the recipe, which piece of brownies will have some manure? It will likely effect the whole pan of brownies. You can not separate the bad ingredient from the good.

If you need six months of good discipline and no symptoms. Which cheats in personal behavioral discipline that cause symptoms can your brain tolerate?

Your days of "Fun and Games" is over for the near future (year or so) You need to get used to the new behavior discipline or risk riding the PCS roller coaster for a long time. You need to grow a back bone. Tell friends "No, I can not do that. It will cause me a relapse of PCS symptoms."

Honestly, you will be way ahead of the game if you start looking for some new friends who do not need to participate in these over-stimulating activities to feel alive. This will be difficult with your generation and your location (Las Vegas). BUT, you CAN do it.

Have you considered who your friends are? If they want to drag you to bad environments or engage in over-stimulating activities, are they your friends or just your co-conspirators in these activities. A friend looks out for the well-being of their friends. Many in your generation have a long list of acquaintances that they do select 'activities' with.

Do they say you are "No fun" with your restrictions? They are acquaintances, not friends.

If they say, "Let's find something we can do together that will not cause you problems," they are true friends.

You are a Daddy with responsibilities. You need to start making choices for the future. Do your 'friends' have kids?

Most parents find that their 'no kids' friends tend to drop away and their 'friends with kids' tends to grow and strengthen. It is a strong sign of maturing as a parent.

I hope you are starting to get the message. Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Your improvements with PCS will be a marathon. You treat it like a sprint with minute by minute, hour by hour analysis of your life.

I have not focused on minute or hourly or even a single day's symptoms. I look at the trend of symptoms over a month or more time, such as , I had only 4 bad days this month while I had 10 bad days last month. This is the only way one can observe improvement.

Your life changed that day. It will never be the same. Mourn it as the past and start looking for your new life.

You can do it. You son needs you to do it.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (01-08-2012), SpaceCadet (01-08-2012), tamisue (01-08-2012)