View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 01:24 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Years ago when we determined that I needed to severely limit my driving, we consolidated cars and bought a brand new, full size GMC Yukon. We are not usually new car people. They are just too expensive. This time, the new Yukon offered side curtain airbags. We felt this was an important feature to have since auto accident concussions often come from the side glass or door pillars.

EstersDoll, You said <I was a very accomplished, bright, over-achieving, independent, hyperactive and energetic person before the accident and the impairments have been vast and seem to have affected many areas of my brain, so there's still a lot of improving to do.)>

These same people are often the most effected by persistent concussion symptoms. We are so used to working at the top edge of performance that we notice every difference. It is also a reason we rarely get good concussion diagnosis and care. Our post concussion functions are still so high that many dismiss us. I believe the NeuroPsych who first assessed me was intimidated by my high IQ scores. He was definitely pushing the limits of his IQ and making up for his deficiencies with ego and arrogance.

We are also most able to develop many work-around skills for our good days. They don't help much on our bad days as we struggle to sense any intelligence at all.

As some have mentioned, learning to live in the present and find ways to keep going has made us better, more compassionate people.

Some one mentioned a high maintenance wife on TV tonight. I asked my wife if I am high maintenance. She said No, not now. But she said I was high maintenance 6 years ago, before I started working at learning better people skills and coping skills.

Hope we can all learn to not be high maintenance.

My best to you all.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Eowyn (01-09-2012), katie71083 (01-10-2012), SpaceCadet (01-15-2012)