View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoni View Post
Also he doesn't understand hitting hurts either. He's 23 now and I know violent add is rare into adulthood. Don't worry though.
Maybe not worried, but I am concerned. This could be a serious warning sign, and may or may not be related to ADD. Violence has a strong tendancy to escalate; this is not opinion. There may be more going on with(in) him than ADD. http://helpguide.org/mental/domestic...es_effects.htm
This link also has sections on Adult ADD/ADHD and many other topics/issues that may be informative/helpful. I have several very close dear friends with adult ADD; of course everyone is different/unique, but what you describe doesn't sound like any of them.

Quote:
He's a very unique person. He functions like a child but on an adult level but all his previous girlfriends just treat him like a retarded.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.

I'm just spitballing here, based on what you've posted, so consider it like two people who've met at a coffee shop and struck up a conversation... We're all interested in helping each other here, but we're peers - not professionals (and we don't pretend to be. )

Getting back to the initial question, is he still in denial about dysfunction in women? The evidence out there - both academic and anecdotal - is overwhelming.

The fact that you've seen some improvement since discontinuing the citalopram is, IMO, very encouraging, so it may just be a matter of time, and patience/understanding on his part. I would keep reading/researching, and (perhaps needless to say) avoid ever taking an SSRI again - there are other options.

It pains me to say it, but if he refuses to accept things, and his emotional dysfunction continues, I guess I might seriously reconsider if he's the right guy, or this is the right relationship, for you. Your needs/feelings are just as important as his; relationships go both ways, both parties have to communicate and work at it. Sex is important, but IME/O, relationships based solely on sex, or with sex being a deal-breaker, are doomed to failure anyway. I think you're better than that and deserve more, don't you?

Again, just spitballing, and just my personal opinion...

FWIW/FYI, there is a forum here on NT for ADD/ADHD too, if that's of any interest/help to you.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-09-2012)