View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 02:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
MS can affect life sustaining functions such as breathing and swallowing

The years I have been on MS forums I have read about many deaths of those with MS. Some of those deaths have been in their very early 20s. It is so heartbreaking when a mother posts the death of her child or a mother googles her son's username and finds the threads/post he has written and lets members know he has passed on.

Death due to complications, a direct result of the disease, suicide or due to some other unrelated health issue --- Life with this disease is not easy.
My strength for breathing in is 60% of normal and breathing out is 16% of normal. I tend to choke when trying to swallow, which I've gotten used to and usually try to avoid eating in public because of it.

But Saturday night at the awards banquet I had one that scared me pretty bad. I tried to swallow a bite and it got stuck in my throat, I tried several times to swallow and was about ten seconds from letting my husband know what was going on. I was trying to keep calm and see if I could get it to go down on my own though, I did it yay!

I guess if I couldn't I was in the perfect place for it though. I had my DH who is an EMT, next to him was another, around the room were several more, a paramedic was there and in the parking lot was the rescue rig with their medical equipment I know it's not funny, but if I don't laugh at my issues I would cry.

I tell my family it's not fatal, I don't want them to worry. My hubby understands the breathing and swallowing issues though.
nemsmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (01-10-2012), Blessings2You (01-09-2012), dmplaura (01-14-2012), Koala77 (01-11-2012), SallyC (01-09-2012), Snoopy (01-10-2012)