Thread: New to TS...
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 04:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New to TS...

Hi everybody...
I was diagnosed with TS this past May. I just turned 22 in November.
I had a few tics when I was a kid, but they would come and go and never the same one. In fact, there were so few, my parents just thought they were nervous habits I'd picked up, and I would stop doing it just as sudden as I'd started doing it.
My senior year of high school, I had a lot of psych issues (depression, self-injury, anxiety). I worked at Pizza Hut for a few years. I eventually started blinking really fast and hard all the time, and eventually added jerking my head. We didn't think anything about it. I thought I was just really stressed out. After I changed jobs a year and a half ago, it got way worse! We didn't know what was going on. And to keep from jerking my head or arms, I would end up curled up in a ball really tight.
Now, I'm on meds, and usually just have the blinking or tense my neck muscles. When it gets bad, I jerk my head, jerk my arms really hard and fast and hit myself or the table or counter or whatever if there is one in front of me, stomp, twist my wrists weird. I say huh and up and hey over and over again, but just "hey" recently and it's more like i'm yelling...

It's confusing to me sometimes, and exhausting, but for the most part, I try to just laugh it off. I guess that's how I deal with a lot of things, though...laugh it off and joke about it.

I was supposed to see the doc last week to see what else we could do besides meds, but it turned out that the only thing she planned on trying was botox because I've gotten to where I squench my eyes shut really tight and can't open them. I don't like the idea of botox though, so ended up not going because she told me flat out there was no idea in going if I didn't want to do that (cuz I live 2 hours away).

I'm just at a point where I don't know what else to do when it gets bad enough that I can't drive because of squeezing my eyes shut. I'm afraid that I'm going to end up losing my job because of days missed or something.

Sorry this turned out so long. I guess I just needed to get it out and I'm so thankful to find somewhere that maybe I can.
jnt1989 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (01-10-2012), Lara (01-10-2012)