Thread: People!
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrae View Post
....not to mention the 'good' friends that I've lost because of this.
To talk about our pain and lose friends, or not to talk about pain and hopefully keep them - THAT is the QUESTION!
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to Suffer in Silence,
or to take Umbrage against a Sea of Ignorance,
and by doing So End Social Interaction....
(or something like that....)

Don't mind me; I'm experiencing a bout of cerebral flatulence.

Deja vu - Have we been through this movie before? I can be a slow learner at times. I drove away a lot of folks by mistakenly thinking that when they asked how I was doing, they really meant it, and I answered candidly. Eventually I wised up and now confine my pain-palavering to pain-pals, support groups (like here) and those oh-so-few who, after I tell them I'd rather not talk about it, convince me that they really DO want to know...

I'm at peace with this situation now. I think I'm happier for not having/wanting to talk about my pain/medical conditions at every opportunity/social event. I thought about handing/sending some folks one of those letters floating around the net telling them what it's like to be us, with the list of umpteen things they should/shouldn't ask/say.... but that seems kinda... weird (to me, anyway - not my style, I guess).

I can't blame people for acting, feeling, and/or talking the way they do. Insensitive as they may seem, they're being very human. Like the doctor who admits to being afraid of us because he can't help us
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Blogs/21266?
I think many of our friends/family/acquaintances are scared silly of us - knowing there's nothing they can do, and terrified that they could wind up in the same situation.

I am thinking about printing up some kind of awareness card though... a business/calling card - sized thing with some talking points about chronic/intractable pain - maybe individualized. Maybe (to cut the tension) put one of those lists of "Things NOT to Say..." on the back. It's smaller/handier/friendlier than a letter, anyway.

Whaddaya think?

ElizaJane, from where I'm sitting/reading, you've got a lot more to feel good about there than not. Keep on Ventin', and Illegitimi non carborundum!

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ElizaJane23 (01-10-2012), ger715 (01-10-2012), JoanB (01-10-2012), Mark56 (01-10-2012), Vivster (01-15-2012)