View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 08:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have the same thing, tendonitis of both elbows, ankles, pain at the base of the thumb which my GP says is probably arthritis, new pain at the wrist which goes up the arm. I have osteoarthritis (OA). It's in my spine from top to bottom, right now due to pain in my ankles my podiatrist suspects that the OA is in the soft tissue and has not yet begun the bone injury (he took xrays). I have widespread tendonitis with this, whatever it is. I have taken PT for the neck and back and on their billing and physician notes they have either written myositis or myofacsical pain. Now these are two very different issues. The neurologist has not told me exactly what this is besides OA. He sent me to PT, I endured 16 weeks. Sometimes it was good and sometimes it was bad because they treated me for unrelated stuff. Spent one month on SIS (shoulder impingement syndrome) that I do not nor have ever had, no pain in shoulders. I had a massage to separate the pectoral major and minor muscles, this massage is brutal and I was bruised to the point that my general surgeon (some breast cysts) was shocked and asked how that happened and when I said PT massage of pectoral muscles he demanded to know who had sent me for that so I told him who. He was really most annoyed at the bruises. He wrote down the docs name so I don't know if he called him on it or not.

Tell me, when you palpate the painful spot on your elbows and follow up along the inside of the arm is it painful all the way to the underarm? and down the arm as well? Yeah if so it's not something that anyone can answer. However, at PT they had the hand therapist take a look because I also have a band of tough tissue above the elbows, that is myofascial tissue. The hand therapist stated as such and added she could massage it out with a script from the doctor. I had just had the pec massage and I said "No, I will deal with this on my own."

Myfascial Pain is not Fibromyalgia although they seem to lump it with FM. It has something to do with the end plates, where muscle, tendon and the bone meet. It can be felt unlike FM, you can actually feel the hard or hardened tissue. Usually it is from over use in my case that was not true, neither is the term "tennis elbow". Haven't played tennis since high school a very long time ago. In my case I think it is part of the arthritis or the arthritic process.

I hear you and I understand exactly where you are at. You need to have this assessed by a good Rheumatologist as they really are well versed in musculoskeletal diseases and disease process. Neurologist can help as well but generally this would be for a Rheumatologist.
semurray is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote