Thread: People!
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

I like that blog post too; had it bookmarked for years, and pull it out often. And I feel fortunate that I DO have a couple of doctors like Dr Rob!

Wanna see some other great blogs from medical professionals?
Google: angry doctor
Google: angry physician
Google: angry pharmacist
and similar; there are lots out there - enlightening and entertaining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaJane23 View Post
No matter how many times I've thought that I'd accepted that, it rears it's ugly head from time to time. That's a tough pill to swallow.
I often suggest to people new (I'm sure everyone here knows this) to chronic pain/disease to bone up on the stages of grief, because whatever the cause, this... thing thrust upon us is not an event; it's a journey - a process, and we go through those exact same stages. I think it helps to be aware of and understand what we're going through and why. We read through the stages, checking off which ones we've been through (there is no order) thinking (hoping?) that once we've been through them, we're done, but something we (I, anyway) often forget is that those stages can be recursive - we can revisit any/all of them several times along our journeys. Hopefully we don't get stuck on any one or several (though it can & does happen).

I get the same feelings (that you express about your legs) about my neck, or back, (or legs/feet) and the skills and abilities I've lost that I won't ever get back. But then I have to remind myself that eventually I may have lost them anyway through age, and what's really bugging me is the abruptness and accelerated timeline - how RUDE! (I have an aunt in her late eighties who's throwing fits because she's losing her sight to macular degeneration) I can't dwell on the past, it wastes too much valuable time, and I'm on the high side of 50 anyway; I only have what is and what I can still do, and I cussed well better cram everything in while I still can before I lose anything else lest I lose it whilst revisiting some stage or other...
(There was that incident at the Grand Canyon....)

Mark has an excellent point; there are still good things all around us, but sometimes we have to kick ourselves in the butt to wake up, see, and appreciate them. I'm glad we have community, so we can help kick each others butts when we can't kick our own!

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 01-10-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (01-10-2012), JoanB (01-10-2012), Vivster (01-15-2012)