Thread: Rfa?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 10:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Had the rhizotomies only 5 weeks of relief headaches back

Well I already posted my story so I won't go into details here. But suffice it to say it worked for a little while, now I am on Gabapentin and my podiatrist knows a good rhuematologist and the neurologist and pain guy who think I am still one of their patients will be surprised when I send the letter asking for my test results and my treatment notes so I can bring them to the new doctor. As my 18 month old grand daughter would say, DONE, DONE, DONE.

My head pain is worse then ever and now I am having full blown migraines with the nausea and everything else. I can't even get meds into me because I know they will come right back up. So the "pain guy" who will not discuss the reason for the headaches until I see him in two weeks has prescribed Gabapentin for the "neuropathic pain". I didn't have this before the procedures. As debilitating as the headaches were and I didn't think they could be worse, oh boy, they are much, much worse. Now I have been out of work all week, the Gabapentin is working but the effects are dizziness, spatial relationship issues, hand numbness and leg numbness. Can't drive like this and typing is a chore. (excuse the bad typing and possible thought drifting).

When I asked him "Did the procedure fail, are the nerves regenerating, was this only parital lesioning" He said "You are asking too many questions we will discuss in a couple weeks at your appointment". Surprise I won't be there!
Well what do expect when I can't lift my head from my pillow?

Gabapentin/Neurontin works like a charm, you can feel it follow the track of pain right up the back of the neck, back of the head and up and around. It numbs as it goes. Hopefully the effects will level off. My Gp and yes I did see him, why they made an appointment for me immediately, hmmm, you need to come in, hmmm, pain guy couldn't care less. Well GP says give Neurontin a few more days and call if it does not level off we can try others. OH, a big OH, read the package insert on-line because I didn't get one with Neurontin. I take 500mg Naproxen 2 xs a day, not good. Naproxen, in animal studies, increased effects of Neurontin by 14% at doses much lower than human therapeutic doses so dose of each should be adjusted. They don't know what the effects will be at the usual or higher doses, hmmm. So I have switched to OTC Aleve 220 mg 2xs a day. Maybe still should drop the dose or discontinue the Naproxen (I don't think the Naproxen does anything anyway since I have widespread tendonits, don't know why, part of the arthritic process maybe.)

Doctors with the exception of my GP who is a Godsend do not like those of us who read. Now this is only my opinion based on my personal experience and I don't mean to insult doctors who appreciate patients who read and show an interest in their own health care and their diseases and disease processes. They are the best physicians if you are lucky enough to find one.
I really hope my new rheumatologist is of the appreciative doctors.
semurray is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
rbn4jsus (03-13-2014)