View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I didnt see any pool seat lifts, but I was kind of overwhelmed at how busy it was when I got there. They did have a ramp that they were walking people up and down, and I saw one waterproof wheelchair get rolled down that. I did see some sort of underwater construct on one side of the pool that I think might have been the floor lifty thing, but I didnt see it used, but we kept having to walk around it. Not sure if it was the lifty part, but it was right next to the traditional pool ladder.

I'll have to look at the ceiling and see if they had something with lifts on them, or at the other end of the pool. (they had an exercise class going on at one end, so I didnt really see a lot at that end)

Walked down the ramp, and the water is nearly body temp...it felt so good!! Didnt have that super chlorinated smell that the 24hr Fitness that I'd been going to has. It really felt great to be in that water, it was warm, not quite bathwater warm...teeny bit cooler than I'd do if I was in a bathtub.

The exercises the PT had me do were similar to the ones I'd done at traditional non-H2o physical therapy. Walking side to side, walking backwards, marches. I actually had fun. Told the PT that it was fun working with her. She said not many people think physical therapy is fun, but she occasionally gets people like me who love the water so much that they dont care that they're exercising. I told her that if I could run, I'd be doing cannonballs into the pool. She said she hopes I get back to the point where I can do that. (I'll create a tsunami if I do that tho...)

I asked her if they ever have a "free swim" time. She said no, but they do have memberships to their pool. You can get a membership (free the first month, $18 the 2nd month, and then about $35 after that) and they have exercise classes you can join that are (I think) included in the membership. I may just drop my membership to 24hr Fitness (about $30) and join the water fitness classes later on.

I was doing pretty good until she was helping me walk up the ramp out of the pool. That's when gravity got really really strong and I felt like I was made of not-quite-set-up-still-mostly-liquid-Jello. I think that was the first time I ever felt like the Energy Vampires sent from the MS Trolls in my head had visited me after being in warm/hot water.

They supply towels, and you can take as many as you need/want, so I was a towel hog and used a bunch. They kept them in heated shelves right next to the entrance to the locker rooms. Yay! Warm towels!

I think I only get 8 more visits to the pool on the Rx my doctor gave me, but he said I can ask for more if I want, or I can go do traditional PT after I'm done with this. I'm really really tired now, and feel like a overcooked wet noodle, but it WAS really really really fun. Felt amazing to be in that water. Probably the best I've felt since all this crap started was being in that water. Now I'm just waiting for all the pulled muscles and stiffness to hit me later after moving around so much for the first time in two months. (cant believe this crap has been going on for nearly two months! Feels longer)

I go tuesdays and thursdays. So, I cant wait till thursday now. I was dreaming about swimming last night, and doing the real thing today was much better than the dream. Cant wait till thursday! Finally, something to look forward to. Yay!

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (01-10-2012), barb02 (01-13-2012), Dejibo (01-18-2012), ewizabeth (01-10-2012), nemsmom (01-11-2012), SallyC (01-10-2012), tkrik (01-11-2012), Twinkletoes (01-18-2012)