View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I believe that one can become very confused with some of the diagnostic
terms used to describe neuropathy! Once some people get a term for their problem, they often never let go of it. This can close doors for future improvements, rather than open them.

Some of them are quite old terms in fact going way back in time.

Then doctors say things to patients sometimes, that are very misleading. We see posters come on NT with some of the comments at times.

I used to hear patients turn in their RX and say: " Dr. told me I have to take this for the rest of my life--why only 3 refills?"
The accurate communication would be, "you may have to have medical management of this condition for life".

So if someone is told by their doctor, that their nerves are "dying" well imagine how slanted that can be taken! Suppose a person has TWO causes for their PN. A spinal injury AND impaired glucose tolerance or a vaccine injury, or toxic exposure?

This board exists primarily to open doors, and not close them.
The peripheral nervous system can heal itself. Even SEVERED nerves can heal up. This is not new information. It exists in textbooks over 30 yrs old. And recently the Brain has been found to also heal itself (which was previously thought to be irreversible to injury).

There are nutrients (some are vitamins/minerals) that enable nerves to heal. Some of us here are dedicated to finding information from medical studies to show benefits in HEALING.
(the exception to this is hereditary neuropathies which have some genetic error as yet not discovered, which prevents normal functions and/or repair of damaged tissue).
Relief of pain is important, but pain relief does not translate into healing for anyone. IVIG and some chemo treatments exist for the dramatic rapidly progressing neuropathies. Some immune suppressing drugs can reduce the inflammatory response that is attacking axons , and then healing can take place.
But the life style changes--control of impaired glucose, and fixing of mitochondria, and enabling myelin repair, can be done by the patient themselves.

Some of our new posters have come here and stated that their neurologist recommended, acetyl carnitine and lipoic acid. This is a start in the right direction, a small start, since there are not many, but it does show that some doctors ARE reading the research and offering this kind of help now.

Doctors remain however out there with the notion that a B12 level of 250 is "normal". And that is a shame. Also Vit D may be tested for but then treated with an RX version D2 which does NOT work. So we see with just these two common nutrients, that medical management fails still today.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 01-11-2012 at 10:02 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Susanne C. (09-20-2012)