View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 02:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

So...no more ketamine infusions?

This varies depending on what you read. There are so many conflicting areas when it comes to CRPS treatment modalities. What works for one may not work for another. My pain clinic does use the Ketamine infusions and found they've been very effective. Again, you can find information everywhere. I am still reading where it is a good idea to consider a sympthectomy...lol.

This does not mean one is right and another wrong, it's just a difference of opinions. I've always stated when it comes to CRPS no one can speak in absolutes...especially those in the medical community that are treating us.

I have had the Prialt injected directly into my spine. The cathetor method was not an option for me due to Medicare restrictions on home health care. I've talked with speciailsts from all over and have been assured the best trial is one without the strong prescription pain medications. That's the term we were taught in Baltimore for the APF SPAN Leadership training. Semantics, I know, but society dictates that the term drug has a negative connotation, whereas medication is socially acceptable. We all have enough struggles without the added stigma.

Anyway, every one of them stated that the use of strong medications can be added at a later date, but initially it is best without to ensure an accurate trial. I am having the battery removed from my SCS at the same time. They are implanting my pump on April 24th!!!!!

I've been of all pain meds for a few weeks now and have seen a jump in the pain level. The Prialt certainly had an impact as once it wore off the pain skyrocketed. After having 17 blocks and none of them effective, I was leery about this procedure. Only one block was done under flouroscopy. A leading pain speciailst (not in MN) stated that should a leg go numb the block was not done correctly. I called it my Quasimoto routine each time.

Again, it is all situational and basically up to the physician and patient as to which treatment modality is right for them.

Just my opinion...

Bonnie
www.rsdsmn.org
Bonnie1014 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote