View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 07:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ I'm sorry you're experiencing such pain. I can empathize! I have most of my problems in the lumbar region, but I also have a herniation in the cervical spine.

First, do NOT use alot of heat. Heat causes more swelling & pain. It draws blood to the heated area, and that makes it swell more. YOu should use ICE, which will reduce the swelling, and lessen the pain. I know it sounds awful, but it DOES work. At first it feels terrible - LOL - but after you've had it on there for a few seconds, it does feel better. Wrap the ice in a towel so it's not directly on the skin.

I've been on several medications -- MS Contin, Lyrica, Oxycontin, and now I'm on Methadone and the Fentanyl patch. The MS Contin, Methadone and Fentanyl Patch have worked the best. I've had steroid injections, and they did NOTHING at all. I've talked to literally HUNDREDS of people, and they too got NO results from injections. I really don't know why they still use them. The muscle relaxer that worked best for me was Soma -- but be careful with it because it can be habit forming -- and it's hard to get off of. I had a hard time tapering off of it. I never took more than was prescribed, but it seemed that I felt withdrawal effects for several weeks! It's unfortunate, cause the medication DID work well.

I also had a tens unit that did nothing for me. You might ask your doctor about having a Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted -- those have helped MANY people get their lives back! I had one implanted for 6 months, but due to other problems I had to have it removed.

I wish you the very best. Please take care & God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (01-15-2012)