View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joojee22 View Post
I'm going into the ridiculous pain Dr. tomorrow and requesting a fentayl patch. Can anyone make recommendations for what might be the best thing to try? as they might not agree with my recommendation
Ok, I went back through and read most of your previous posts regarding your history.

While the results of pain management have not been successful for you yet, everything that I see that has been tried appears to be appropriate.

I don't understand why you would request a fentanyl patch at this point. Fentanyl is an extremely powerful opioid with a high rate of side effects, and usually prescribed only for opioid-tolerant patients (and I see no mention of your being prescribed any other opioid/narcotic pain medications). For these reasons (and more) I think it highly unlikely any knowledgable doctor would prescribe them for you.

There are many other (types of) pain medications that your doctor may want you to try before moving on to an opioid/narcotic medication. These include some tricyclic antidepressants (like amitriptyline), some antisiezure meds (like gabapentin), and possibly some others.

While narcotic/opioid medications are very effective for patients who do not respond to these other kinds of medications, they are usually not a firstline choice for chronic pain (whether right or wrong) because of their potential for dependence (not the same as addiction) and other risks/considerations:
http://www.jpain.org/article/PIIS152...08316/fulltext

Generally, the decision of what to try is left to the physician's knowledge and experience.

What's more important: which drug you're prescribed/taking - or - controlling your pain?

All that said, rather than typing for the next few hours, you can find out more easily by googling: chronic pain medications list

In preparing for discussions with your doctors, google: talk doctor pain

There's nothing wrong with asking for recommendations, but they may not be relevant for you. All of the meds used today are very effective for the treatment of chronic pain, but as each person is different, what works for one may not work for (or be well-tolerated by) another. This is another reason your doctor's knowledge and experience are important; s/he knows what has worked well/best for the greatest number of patients with conditions/histories similar to yours. Once that decision has been made, there will still be the matter of titration - finding the right dosage to control your pain with the least side effects.

Good Luck & Best Wishes,

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 01-11-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote