View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused My 4 year old's behavior...what's wrong?

Hello, I was hoping someone may be able to suggest what may be wrong with my son from your own experience with similar behaviors. He is currently awaiting an evaluation but I would like explore ways to handle these behaviors as soon as possible because he will be going to kindergarten in the fall. He was removed from his Head Start class room and entered into homebased program until he has an evaluation and wraparound services to be able to better manage his behavior. Some of the behaviors he often displays are...
Impulsiveness
Aggression (hitting other children and teachers)
throwing and breaking things
Extreme tantrums when he doesn't get his own way
makes false statements like: "you said you were going to cut me with a knife", "you said you were going to kill me" (most of the time smiling as he says it)
Says things like he hates me, he wants to kill or hurt others (sometimes smiling, sometimesmad when saying these things)
sensory issues- will not wear certain shoes, hates socks, often takes off clothes or complains about how they feel, will throw a fit is I hand him a cup that is wet, will cry or scream about some music on in the car and will get mad if myself or his sister sings the song, as a baby I would have to take his coat and hat off when he was in the car and car seat, as a baby he would never eat babyfood or baby cereal
He was a very fussy baby and woke up several times a night until he was 1 1/2
he get very upset if something is not exactly how it should be like if food tears or a piece of a toy will not fit together exactly how it should.
He is very smart although he rarely seems to focus his attention long enough to learn much. He loves movies, super heros, and his Nintendo DSi and doesn't put much attention in anything else. His moods seem to fluctuate often from very affectionate and loving to mean and aggressive. I see many similarities with early onset bipolar, adhd, and even considered Asperger's. He doesn't have any autistic like hand gestures or stance, and no odd or repetitive speech patterns (if that matters much for aspergers dx).

Any thoughts or suggestions are really appreciated!
better2morrow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (01-23-2012)