View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Well, certainly that was an interesting article. I've tried metformin TWICE, and both times it was a disaster as time passed on my GI tract and gall bladder. Even the new form, affected my gall bladder!. Then I found a new study that recommends people with PCOS or sluggish gall bladder may improve with it! Stimulating the gall bladder when you don't need it...dumps too much bile into the intestine and this alone can cause many problems!

I guess for me TOO much action on the gall bladder plus the increased serotonin action on the GI tract was too much. I do have that congenital defect I was born with, and that may be a factor.

Before metformin was marketed, there was a cousin of of it, called phenformin (D.B.I T.D. tradename)... and this version which was in Europe before the US... caused many deaths from lactic acidosis. It was off the market here until the newer metformin was released in the mid 90's.(as Glucophage). Metformin still has the lactic acidosis warning attached to it, but that is much less of a risk than its old cousin had (phenformin)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenformin

Since then it has been touted as a diabetes preventative by reducing insulin resistance. But also it DOES affect serotonin receptors in the bowel.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=566298

Both times, I started out well, but as the early months passed, the cramping, nausea and diarrhea became just too much and overwhelming for me! Even the new form Glumetza failed after about 6months!

People on metformin for long periods of time, should have regular renal (kidney) blood work. This drug can damage the kidneys in some people.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 01-12-2012 at 09:15 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote