View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlegirl View Post
I am having my surgery February 8th and am wondering a few things from those who have been there and done that

What was easier than you thought during your recovery? What was the hardest part? What did you wish you knew ahead of time but didn't until you had the surgery? What was the biggest help during your recovery?
What did you do to keep your sanity? How much help did you need afterwards?

Sorry for so many questions =)
I had a cervical fusion with titanium plate & screws on C5, C6, C7 March 2011. I'm slightly better in the neck area, but my peripheral neuropathy in my right hand is worse then ever. I am told I still need another surgery on my ulnar nerve for a double crush. But anyways, to your questions....

I am a pretty athletic and tough cookie, and I thought I would breeze through recovery, I was very wrong. I needed quite a bit of help for the first 3 weeks. Sleeping was the most difficult, finding a comfortable position mostly, I was in a hard cervical collar for 8 1/2 weeks, was not allowed to take it off at all, even showered with it. Raising my hands above my head was nearly impossible, my husband washed and dried my hair for me for a month. I had difficulty swallowing, but this subsided after about 6 wks, and had very little strength. I was always feeling exhausted. But probably after affects of anesthetic.

I made and froze homemade soups, stews and chili so I didn't have to cook or bother my hubby that much. Keep some bendy straws and cool drinks by your bed and lots of throat lozenges. Take your pain meds exactly as you are told to, don't wait until you are in horrible pain, by then its too late. Don't lift, don't bend or twist, just relax, read and watch lots of movies and TV. First 3 weeks is the hardest then slowly add some things to your day. Don't overdo anything. Be very gentle and kind on your body.

I had a really nice spring day about 4 weeks after surgery and decided to go for a long walk outside, I was in excruciating pain for 4 days afterwards. Felt great while I was walking though. Ended up back in ER for this. Usually anything you do has after affects, so take it easy and slow.

What kept my sanity? My iPad, I was able to prop it up and play some games and watch lots of movies. And I had my family with me to keep me company and try to make me laugh about it.

Good luck to you, post afterwards when you can so we can see how you are coming along.

Take care,
Cathie
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote