View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 02:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm a Workman's Comp issue.....I called several Attorney's after I had not been "allowed" to work, 4 years..... Specifically SS Attorney's....For SSD....As I am not eligible for SSI because of the WC open claim......The first Attorney did give me a brief "free consultation" as working on a contingency basis....Then sent me a formal letter stating that if I did not hire her firm within 30 days, she would dismiss my file....Oh really, I said to self....Ultimatum>?....Not on my dime.....The second young lady was quite informative in the sense she offered much information the first did not volunteer to include letting me know that the SS Department would make an over the phone appointment with me and help me fill out that stack of paperwork...They ask you the questions and you answer them....They are filling out that paperwork physically, not you......And I quote, "It's their job to help you"......Which they did.....That way if something is left out...It's not totally on you as they must document every step.....The second Attorney also sent me 4 legal pages of information to include not settling with Workman's Comp by outright buy off...To continue with bi-weekly payments as what is being done to present.....That way one does not have to be totally destitute to be eligible for SSD and there won't be many up and down fluctuations of pay outs which can really mess with a life of keeping up a lifestyle and paying bills.......She also let me know that that SS Department would have to get Workman's Comp's permission for me to get medicaid after a minimum of 1 year.....In order to get total medical assistance.....Which is documented in the professional sense by way of their documentation....Not your word against theirs....In that telephone appointment with SS Department they quoted a 2 month span of time I would hear back with a decision which was not fact....Also, when dealing with them by way of phone....If you call....Call the National line....not the local one....Document who you speak to and tell them you're concern should be taken as a complaint...Even if it's just a question....That way whom ever you're speaking with "must" document that call by noting down your complaint or concern....And that will match your notes....Taking notes of to whom you speak is key....Have a separate not pad just for dealing with them.......Then as stated in prior messages here....Only seek Council after a denial or rejection and you must know the denial date for an Attorney to proceed...You must get that....Do not wait longer than 40 days to call the SS Department about what your status is as you are only allowed a 60 day period of time to submit an appeal....It is not uncommon for a case to be denied and somehow that client is not notified....If you do not hear any word for a substantial time, question that....Document, document, document.....As any government agency...They hire humans and some of those humans could care less....You are not their mother and their there just to make a living.....Do not believe for one minute that they waste one second of their precious time giving a hoot about you....You and only you can be responsible for the results going in a productive and positive manner...Best wishes for all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey View Post
I agree with everything you are saying. But, if a person does have receipts, it does help to prove their claim. It may not have any bearing on the final decision. But it is documented proof that you have taken steps to prove your claim. And yes I have heard of free clinics and hospital charity. There again, this is documented proof for your claim even though it comes from a free source. A medical document is just that, a medical document. It dose not matter where it came from or if you paid for it or didn't pay for it.
Fireball is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Gracemary (10-11-2012)