Thread: Familial MG
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Well, I can't say that I'm surprised.

I'm glad someone took your sister's situation seriously. MG can run in families. My friend and her sister have MG. All it means is that genes for a disease may be more virulent in some families than in others. My Aunt had polymyositis but no one else in her family has gotten it. And certain genetic groups, like Northern Europeans (Norway, UK, Germany, etc.) can get autoimmune diseases more often in general.

If you or your sister ever get new symptoms, like upset stomach (celiac disease) or clotting issues (APS) or fatigue (pernicious anemia, Addisons, AI thyroiditis) or any other symptoms, see your doctors. That's why I'm always advocating to check out new symptoms because some people have genetic pools that might be on steroids.

It's amazing what doctors don't tell us. I think some doctors live in their heads and don't realize they haven't verbalized their thoughts! I know some people like that and they are not always aware that they're doing that. Of course, some docs often don't have time to say everything but you'd think "BTW, you have familial MG" wouldn't take long to say and might be sort of kind of maybe important.

Jana, I think it's fun when people are talkative. Growing up around some way too stoic Norwegians, I prefer the alternative! I love that "more questions than Quaker has oats" comment. Too funny.

Mike, if your sister has questions, she should really try to find an MG group. It helps so much to share experiences in person. I hope she can get the treatment plan that works for her. It may not be the same as yours, even if you are sibs.

I think the important thing to do is to let your other family members be aware of this. They may not get MG but then they can look out for any early signs such as napping or double/blurry vision.

Take care,

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jana (01-12-2012)