View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Smile Hi joojee

I'm sorry you are dealing with this pain, especially during the night, hindering your sleep.
Regarding the fentanyl patch - Like Dr Smith said, it's way up there with the most powerful of opioids. Your Dr might think you are coming on too strong by asking for this right away. Sometimes doctors get a bit leary if patients start asking for meds by name, especially narcotics.

I've been using the Fentanyl patch for a few years now. At one point I was up to the strongest dose (100mcg), without adding additional patches to the dose. Keep in mind, once your body does get used to this med, it can be pretty tough getting off of it. I had to slowly be tapered down and (thank God) I can get by with the 50mcg dose now. The withdrawal effects are pretty nasty. You might want to keep this in mind before you commit to the idea of being on this med.

Hopefully when you wake up in pain, taking the Norco might be effective. If not, your Dr will probably work you up the ladder in pain meds, but I certainly wouldn't ask for something that strong up front.

Hope I'm not being a bummer, I'm just concerned - that's all

Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (01-14-2012)