View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 09:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry I'm a little late responding to this...but here we go.

I am a 36 year old female. I fell at work on November 22, 2011 and hit my head on the concrete factory floor. I blacked out and don’t have any memory for immediately after the fall.
I have been diagnosed with PCS and have been improving since.

So sorry to hear about your fall...but I'm glad you found us here at NeuroTalk. I was assaulted back in June and don't have any memory of the event. I was also diagnosed with PCS in September.

I have problems stuttering and sometimes I use the wrong words, although that has been improving.

I'm at 6 months post-injury and I still have this problem. It's gotten better, but I still have days where I struggle with it all day. It can be quite annoying and very embarrassing if your talking to somebody that isn't close to you or doesn't know what your going through.

I am having problems with sequencial memory and struggle to do things I used to do without thinking, like making coffee, cooking, or other activities that require more than one step. I do the right things, but the wrong order. I’ll sometimes put my dog in his kennel for the night then give him food in the other room. I frequently go into a room and have no idea what I went there for. Because of this and my now very short attention span, I can’t drive.

I have days and moments like this all the time. It gets better. I wasn't able to drive before, but now I'm able to...though I still have days that I don't feel like I'm capable.

I have always been a reader and I can’t read. I had to have a friend type in the security code for me to register for this site because I could not read the distorted letters or pick out words in the audio option.

Never a big reader, but I find it hard to read at times. The letters will either look distorted or the background will make the letters kind of invisible. Since my memory and cognitive problems are off I have a hard time following along. I'll forget the words as I read them.

I am writing because yesterday morning when I woke up I was totally disoriented. I had no idea what day it was, what month it was, I thought I was late for a job I had actually quit a few years ago. Every person has had a moment like this at some point, but the thing that concerns me is that this went on for an hour before I could orient myself. I went to bed with a terrible headache, but I don’t know that is related.

I posted about this about a week or so ago...but I've been waking up completely disoriented as well. I'll have to struggle to remember my son's name, my mom's name, etc. and I'll have to lay in bed sometimes for 30 minutes before it all comes back to me. It's still happening to this day. Have you had any other experiences like this since? They seem to be happening a lot for me since they started...very scary.

I’d like to know if this is common and I would be interested in things I can do to improve my memory problems.

I can't tell you for sure if it's a common problem...I'd imagine it is, as I've read about people having similar experiences...but I can tell you from my stand-point, I'm having very similar problems to you...so your not alone.

I wish you the best of luck with your recovery
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote