View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 01:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink14 View Post
I'm curious on what advice everyone here has about mentally dealing with others.

Lately I find myself incredibly depressed and frustrated that everyone that I meet doesn't seem to even try to understand what I'm going through. I find myself wanting to write-off friends and just stay inside alone.

I feel like my neurologist and immediate family are the only ones that believe me.

If someone doesn't "escape my presence" after I mention my PCS and all; than it seems like their only other option is to minimize it, and make it seem completely normal to them. When I blackout and I forget where I am and what I was doing, it is nothing like someone walking into a room and forgetting what they were going to go get. It's scary.

It's frustrating that everyone treats my problems as if they're a cold: something that everyone else deals with and I'm over-exaggerating. I'm not. I really wish that I was. I wish that it was all so easy and simple to fix.

Everyone makes it all seem like it should be so easy, even though they've never been here. They email me about job openings nearby, and try to throw me into situations that I am clearly not ready for. It doesn't make sense to them.

Has anyone figured out a way to explain it to others that works? Do social settings work for anyone here? Is giving up the only option?
Some people say that you "have to walk a day in someone else's shoes" in order to understand what they deal with. This is especially true for people wth tbis and pcs. Sometimes it seems like it'd be easier if I had a cast on a broken arm, just so people don't look confused when you say you are still healing but hey can't see your brain damage. Honestly, I find this website extremely helpful when you feel like you are losing it or no one understands you. This website is full of people who understand! Have you ever checkedout te tbi guide? Its online if you google it and it can be helpful to get friendsand family to read it. Also the web series "you look great" on youtube can help open some eyes. Hope tha helps a bit!
kayley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
katie71083 (01-14-2012), SpaceCadet (01-14-2012)