View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Fish oils are prone to oxidation, and the cooler refrigerator retards this better than room temp.

Dr. Eades recommends putting fish oil in the frig:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/u...ized-fish-oil/

I've done this for over a decade, and nothing negative has ever happened to them in there, for us. We do not have central A/C and that seems the best place IMO for us.

It is not always, believeable what manufacturers put on their
product labels. Also they do not always give good instructions on how to take things either! B12 is a case in point....
"timed release" oral---- GADS
Take with food--- both are not ideal. But both are available to consumers.

Lovaza RX fish even has transfats in them: Transfats are less prone to oxidation and that is why they were in our food for so many years--to extend shelf life.
Quote:
The empirical formula of DHA ethyl ester is C24H36O2, and the molecular weight of DHA
ethyl ester is 356.55.
LOVAZA capsules also contain the following inactive ingredients: 4 mg α-tocopherol (in a
carrier of partially hydrogenated vegetable oils including soybean oil), and gelatin, glycerol, and
purified water (components of the capsule shell).
from https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...j7vzQkGQbhnOIg

Really healthy? not

In really humid locations, homes where fog and lake/ocean moisture accumulate, opening the bottles as little as possible is a good idea. Keeping a several day stash in a smaller bottle like a pharmacy vial that is designed to minimize moisture helps. That way you only open the "mother bottle" every few days.
Make sure to clearly mark and little temp bottle...I run labels off on my computer in large font...for this.

UpNorth where the fog penetrates the house some days, I keep all my supplements and RX meds in tightly closed plastic totes.
I've never had anything go bad this way, but my mirrors all over the house and inside windows can fog up in really extreme weather.

I agree that the refrigerator is quite okay. If one really wants to see some terrible storage....just try to understand insulin storage these days. We have a member here who was on the ACCORD program, and her Lantus was kept on a shelf in a room and given to her there that way! She said it was never cold. And BTW it was FREE. Not unlike Dr. Eades' claims that the fish oil used in studies may be rancid as well!
http://www.lantus.com/currently-on-lantus/storage.aspx
How awful is THAT? Questions about storage of insulin still are very numerous on the net.

I believe the refrigeration warning for fish oil, pertains to the gelatin capsule, not the fish oil. However today, the enteric coated ones are much better IMO. We have never seen any oil capsule deteriorate in the frig. So I will continue to keep them there.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 01-14-2012 at 10:06 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote