View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

The way I see that bar graph is that RLA is 40 times more absorbable than ALA... If anything I think that is a stretch and I really don't think it is that much. Maybe 10 times or thereabouts?

Why the unstabilized is so low, is a mystery too. But lacking time to look elsewhere, I put that up as an example.

Also within the manufacturers is LEF which cleverly makes their product look like it has MORE NaRALA in it by listing the total weight of the salt in its ingredients! Doctor's best does not inflate their product this way, and labels it more accurately.
example: Doctor's Best says 143mg sodium RALA yielding 100mg/cap. LEF does the reverse!

Quote:
Serving Size 1 vegetarian capsule

Servings Per Container 60
Amount Per Serving

Sodium

30 mg

Bio-Enhanced® Stabilized Na-RALA sodium R-lipoate (providing 240 mg of R-Lipoic acid)

300 mg

Other ingredients: vegetable cellulose (capsule), rice flour, vegetable stearate.

Contains rice.
If you compare prices of both products there is not much saving using LEF (if you think you are getting 300mg/cap and that is 3 times what is in others--- which is not true. You only get 2.4 times more).

Labels and ingredients are really tricky! One always has to watch carefully.

Hubby is waiting for me now to go out with him. I'll look around later today, and get back to this thread if I find better data.
I don't really "love" that graph that much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
Hi mrsD,

Something bothers me about that chart, as well as getting study data from the company that mfrs./sells the product. I see that they're citing studies done by others, but IME, purveyors of products do tend to cite only studies that support their claims, even when there are other studies that contradict. (I'm not saying that's the case here - I don't know.)

The bar chart
http://www.geronova.com/content/bio-...uble-rla-salts
(is that the one you're referring to?) seems to indicate that Alpha Lipoic Acid is better absorbed than R-Lipoic Acid , when other sources have been telling us that RLA is better absorbed, and we're only needing 1/6 the dose as of ALA.

I guess I'd just feel better about it if there were corroborating independent studies.

Doc

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
antonina (01-14-2012)