View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 05:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsmith1984 View Post
This is what the new neurologist said to me as I was walking out of the room.

Just before that, I was asking him what I should be doing to improve my recovery. He said rest and minimize stress.

So which one is it? Rest or stimulate?

The only time I feel somewhat "alright" is when I'm doing nothing at all. It seems like everything I do brings on the cognitive problems. Sometimes I could lay in bed all day and still have problems.

So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I think he's right. It's both things, not just one or the other. It's a balance between the two.

The accident that caused the head injury I acquired was about 18 months ago. I am doing much better now! I still have a while to go... And I recognize that stimulating my brain has helped some of those neural pathways to reconnect. But I also know that overdoing it (becoming overstimulated or overwhelmed cognitively) makes my functioning degrade.

I remember that my Primary Care Physician told me that when I feel like resting that I need to rest (unfortunately, I never really "feel like resting" but I know I need to) and to do stuff when I feel up to it.

Try to be grateful that you can recognize when you need to rest and know that it will get better over time. (I know it's very boring, just hang in there!)
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-14-2012)